Exciting times here at Richard Kershaw Wines as our new vintages are about to head out around the globe – the culmination of months of work in the vineyard and cellar. We’ve had some fantastic results already for these wines and our last releases which we’d like to share with you.
This week Richard paired up with Job de Swart MW in the Netherlands for the Judgement of Amsterdam to showcase top Chardonnays from around the world. 50+ wine professionals were invited to judge, including Weinakademiker, Dutch Sommeliers Guild members and journalists. The following wines were tasted:
1. Piuze, Chablis Grand Cru, Bougros 2015 (FR)
2. Château Montelena, Napa Valley, Chardonnay 2014 (US)
3. Richard Kershaw, Elgin, Selection, Chardonnay 2016 (SA)
4. Ramey, Russian River Valley, Ritchie Vineyard 2014 (US)
5. Isole e Olena, Toscana, Chardonnay 2016 (IT)
6. Jean Chartron, Meursault, Les Pierres 2015 (FR)
7. Dry River, Martinborough, Chardonnay 2017 (NZ)
8. Ocean Eight, Mornington Peninsula, Verve, Chardonnay 2015 (AUS)
9. Bernhard Huber, Baden, Alte Reben, Chardonnay 2015 (GER)
10. Sylvain Langoureau, Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru, La Garenne 2016 (FR)
11. Clos d’Opleeuw, Haspengouw, Chardonnay 2016 (BEL)
12. Kershaw, Elgin, Deconstructed, Bokkeveld Shale CY95, Chardonnay 2016 (SA)
Our 2016 Deconstructed Lake District Bokkeveld Shale CY95 was the judges’ top choice, with 2016 Kershaw Elgin Chardonnay placing second ahead of Sylvain Langoureau, Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru, La Garenne in third place.
“A wine of particular clarity and balance” – our 2017 Kershaw Elgin Pinot Noir was one of 6 wines to score 93 points at this week’s 2018 Winemag.co.zaTonnellerie Saint Martin Pinot Noir Report
Tim Atkin MW released his South Africa 2018 Special Report last week and we’re delighted to announce that we retained our First Growth status, and that all our Clonal Selection, GPS Series and Deconstructed wines scored 92+ points with particular mention to the following wines that were in Tim’s White Wines of the Year list:
Deconstructed Lake District Bokkeveld Shale CY95 Chardonnay 2017 – 97 points
Deconstructed Groenland Bokkeveld Shale CY548 Chardonnay 2017 – 96 points
Neal Martin released his 2018 South Africa Report for Vinous and said “..check out the spellbinding Chardonnays from Richard Kershaw”.
We submitted six wines to be tasted by Neal: Our 2016 Kershaw Elgin Pinot Noir scored 90/100, 2015 Kershaw Elgin Syrah 91/100, 2016 Deconstructed Groenland Bokkeveld Shale CY548 92+/100, 2016 Kershaw Elgin Chardonnay and 2016 GPS Series Vermaaklikheid Chardonnay 93/100, and our 2016 Deconstructed Lake District Bokkeveld Shale CY95 achieved 95/100 and was described as “.. a quite stunning – dare I say, almost Coche-Dury-like – bouquet with perhaps the finest mineralité that I have encountered in the Cape”.
These wines may still be available through our selected importers and distributors around the world but are sold out direct from Richard Kershaw Wines. We are now taking orders for our new vintages, so please contact us via email@example.com to place an order or reservation.